Tuesday 23 September 2008

Finding My Faith


Hi there, people say you don’t truly understand things unless you investigate and find out for yourself. That is how I found my Catholic faith.
I’m Jon Lord, and I have just started my second year of studying journalism at the University of Central Lancashire.
I was brought up into a Catholic background but only in the last couple of years has my faith truly meant something to me.
The experiences of prayer, forgiveness and bonding with other young people have all helped in changing me from a passive spectator in faith to someone overjoyed by God’s love and mercy for us all.
To know that you are part of God’s plan, a child before Him, fills me with delight and freedom.
It’s not easy being a young Catholic though. Most of my friends are non-Christian and it’s often difficult to talk to them about my faith. But my ‘suffering’ is nothing in comparison to the many Catholics all over the world who are persecuted and oppressed for their beliefs. That is what drives me on to share my faith and God’s good news. It’s a great challenge to share our faith with those who do not have the same beliefs. But it’s an opportunity to bear witness to our Lord and show His love through our actions.
English Martyrs church, in Poulton-le-Fylde, has really helped me belong to a community of faith; a feeling of unity that is so important.
I really treasure my faith now and find it an honour and privilege to serve God.

No comments: